Friday

Pregnant man has baby girl

The Pregnant Man, Thomas Beatie, gave birth to a baby girl on June 29 in an Oregon hospital, he confirmed to People. Both he and the baby are doing well.

The 34-year-old was born female and had sex reassignment therapy. He preserved his female reproductive organs, though, allowing him to have the baby when his wife, Nancy, could not.

Nancy, 43, has two children from a previous marriage, but an endometriosis-induced hysterectomy prevented her from becoming pregnant again. The couple used Beatie's eggs and a sperm donor for artificial insemination. The procedure was reportedly performed at home due to opposition from doctors.

The newborn is Beatie's first child. Some reports have said she is named Tracy, which was Beatie's birth name.

"The only thing different about me is that I can't breastfeed my baby," he told People. "But a lot of mothers don't."

Beatie said that despite reports, his daughter was not delivered via C-section. He plans to publish a book in the fall about his experience.

He became a worldwide phenomenon in April when he told People and The Oprah Winfrey Show that he was pregnant.

"I feel it's not a male or female desire to have a child," Beatie told Oprah. "It's a human need. I'm a person and I have the right to have a biological child."

Beatie has said he has not discounted having future children.

"I will be my daughter's father and Nancy will be her mother," "Beatie said in March. "We will be a family."