Friday

Patrick Swayze Hospitalized

Patrick Swayze checked himself into the hospital for observation after he came down with pneumonia.

Bob DeBitetto, the president and general manager of A&E , said that Swayze had decided to check himself into the hospital after he came down with pneumonia.

The actor, 56, was set to discuss his new show today, The Beast, before he took ill.

His hospitalization comes right on the heels of his interview with Barbara Walters in which he talked about his battle with cancer.

"You can bet that I'm going through hell," he told Walters. "And I've only seen the beginning of it."

Swayze came out last March that he had diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He has stated that the disease has taken him on an emotional journey. "Yeah, I'm scared. Yeah, I'm angry. Yeah, I'm [asking], why me."

Despite everything, he remains optimistic and has been praised by the Hollywood community as an inspiration to those fighting cancer.

"I keep dreaming of a future, a future with a long and healthy life," Swazye said, "not lived in the shadow of cancer, but in the light."