Tuesday

Tiny Fey Invites More Criticism

Today I'd like to enter the fray on the discussion of Tina Fey's talent. She has talent and I watch 30 Rock which I love. However many in the media are using Tina Fey's "suck it" moment at the Golden Globes as her 'gotcha' moment. As if Tina had the last laugh on Internet hecklers.



I've seen her award thank you speech which I'll provide video for you to review here, and it was funny. Her timing was awesome, her humility was genuine, there really was nothing to criticize about the moment. The woman is smart and talented. But here it is... wait for it...

She is NOT that talented. OK... for a Golden Globe yes, but as AP's Entertainer of the Year? No offense Tina, but I'm sure you sat at home thinking the same as me when the announcement came... "What? Of all the talent this year, I entertained the most?"

Think about it folks. In the U.S. would you say you were most entertained by Tina Fey? For what? Her involvement on a TV show that nobody watches (according to the ratings) and a few appearances on Saturday Night Live? OK... you could count her TV commercial for Amex.

I have no problem with Tina Fey as a funny, smart comedy writer and on screen comedic acting. I have to wonder though what it says for our country that the best we can offer ourselves in entertainment is a comedian with limited exposure. In my book an Entertainer of the Year should be someone with broad range, maximum exposure and of course likability. Tina didn't make everyone happy with her on screen portrayal of Sarah Palin and that in itself excludes a great number of Americans from her likability rating. Having said that, I didn't like her insulting caricature of Palin but I still find her likable and talented. Yet I'm one person. And my opinion only counts in my column. Thanks for reading. While I don't expect Tina to single me out on a show, I am eager to see what Tina has to offer in 2009, AP won't be so hard up as to make her Entertainer of the Year in 2009. And if they do, then our state of entertainment in America is really in trouble.

Oh... and any would be anon commenter s that want to state I don't make Tina's money and I'm not as talented... I beat you to it. I'm not as talented and as for me never earning what she earns... My life is far from over.